Sunday, February 05, 2006

Some Movie Reviews from Raf

My wonderful brother Rafy suggested that the blog might be a good place for everyone to post their favorite movies, or at least a few movies we can easily remember enjoying. That way no one can hold us to it and we don't have to undergo the painful task of trying to remember more than just what pops up.

He would like to hear from others about his collection, which was assembled quickly becuase, as Rafy explains, "I have been using a lot of fiber lately." Raf would be curious to know if something on his fav list is on someone's suckiest list, so that he can challenge you to a duel. Please use the comments section to make scathing remarks about his low brow taste in movies, something all the Orensteins seem to share.

He wrote the follwoing while waiting patiently for the results of a CT scan of the head (not his own) before going to sleep on a Saturday night.

Comedies:

Gods Must Be Crazy
I've been told it is politically incorrect, but I remember laughing my ___ off.

Strictly Ballroom
One of the few movies I have seen more than 3 times as it was always on when I was on call at Jefferson during my residency. The more I watched it, the better it became. It was zany and poignant, particularly if you are sleep deprived.

School of Rock
I saw this one just a few months ago, so I remember it.

Breaking Away
My first introduction to Bloomington and bicycle racing.

Drama (or sensitive guy) Category:

Terms of Endearment
Good for a good cry.

Dirty Dancing
It's always on TNT and my remote drifts to it somehow.

East of Eden
I saw this in Paris when I was trying to speak French to Parisians and Hebrew to the Evenchiks. Thank God it wasn't dubbed. What a welcome relief!


Thriller/Adventure

Hunt for Red October
Even people who like the drama category would like this. It's just too exciting.

The Vanishing
Sue and I were freaked out by this one. Not the English version: I heard that stunk. The French, mais bien sur!

Passenger 57
My all time favorite "kick butt" movie.

Dead Again
I have no idea what this is about, but remember thinking it was well put together and lots o' fun.

Raiders/Lost Ark
I'm putting this down so when my kids can watch a movie that involves kissing, I'll remember to watch this with them.

Sci/FI

Total Recall
It's very clever, even though it starred a governor of California.

Star Wars #5
Everyone has a favorite number. I'm partial to Yoda.

The Matrix

Foreign

Jean de Floret
I think this is my favorite movie of all time. I hope I spelled it right.

The Postman
The Italian one with Pablo Neruda. I think that's what it's called. I loved it. It's funny how you remember where you saw the good ones for the first time. This was in the Bourse building in Phila.

Classics

Wizard of Oz
It scared the bejesus out of me. I had to spell-check bejesus. It's kind of an offensive epithet. I always thought it was begeezus. I had to look it up in the Merriam Webster site. Still, the move is so great.

It's a Wonderful Life
We saw the one in which George Bush the first described the action for the blind. We could not figure out that voice and thought for a while it might be Paul Lynn. Then we figured it out and it was hilarious.

On the Riverfront
Beware of sexist scenes.

That's all for now. Time to check on that guy's CT scan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home